On the eve of the 2013 academic year the College community is making final preparations in readiness for the year ahead.
Whilst our teaching staff and students enjoy a well-earned break the College program is supported by dedicated teams of people equally committed to ensuring that our students gain the best educational opportunities.
Over the break there has been much activity - refurbishing classrooms, upgrading technology, administration preparation, servicing of our buses and planning for new bus routes, organising classroom supplies for students as well as work being done on the grounds, ovals and landscaping at each of the campuses.
I am most thankful to those who work behind the scenes to ensure that our College program gets off to a positive and efficient start.
Since the end of last year, we have celebrated the success of our VCE Class of 2012.
I would like to congratulate Lachlan Smith (Dux 2012) on achieving an outstanding ATAR of 98.10.
Some other notable achievements were:
- 168 students successfully completed their VCE
- Aidan Hodge 96.95, Rachel Richardson 96.90, Katelyn Shirley 96.75, Chun Hoe Leong 95.50
- 2 students obtained a perfect score of 50 in Music Investigation – Aidan Hodge (96.95) and Charlie Mackie (94.40)
- In Product Design and Technology/Textiles 50% of the class obtained study scores higher than 40, with Rhiannon Irving receiving a 45, her overall ATAR result being 94.25. Rhiannon is one of only 8 students Australia wide selected to study Costume Design at the prestigious Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts
- Christian College continues to achieve particularly outstanding results in Art, Technology and Design. A number of our students have had their work selected for the Top Designs Exhibitions.
- In Outdoor and Environmental Studies consistently excellent results have again been achieved with a number of students gaining study scores above 40.
- Over the last week or so many of these students have received offers from Tertiary Institutions. The following is a summary of the tertiary Placement offers made to Christian College students so far:
- 94% of our students received a first round offer. Of those, 97 gained their first preference. I am informed that a large number of students are delighted with the offers they have received.
- Two music students selected to perform in Top Acts - Kosta Karatenislis and Charlie Mackie
Deakin University, RMIT, Monash University, University of Melbourne, Latrobe University, Australian Catholic University, Victoria University, Swinburne University of Technology, The Gordon Geelong, William Angliss Institute of TAFE, Australian Academy of Design, Qantm College, Holmesglen
- At Melbourne University - 12 places, in Arts, Science, Agriculture,
- At Monash - 4 places in Science/ English/Arts/Edu, Music, Medicine
Other students have offers in the following areas of study:
Health Sciences, Arts / Humanities, Commerce, Science Visual & Performing Arts, Sport , Education, Engineering, Information Technology, Social Work, Law, Real Estate, Furniture Design, Town Planning
Remaining College graduates have successfully applied for employment or apprenticeships.
I am thankful to the Careers and Student Support staff who have provided advice and support to the students requiring assistance over the holiday break. This is a busy and demanding time for these families each year and having College staff available to assist is a great benefit to students and their families at this time each year.
In 2013 we will welcome a number of new staff at our campuses:
Paul Chambers (Year 7), Alice Claringbold (Drama/Dance), Andrew Davies (Science), David Kehler (Year 7), Justine Shay (Year 5), Tim Wright (Outdoor Ed), Kirstin Camm-Bartle (Music), Stephanie Geue (Publications & Promotions Officer)
Katya Chaney (Japanese), Heidi Hearps (Year 1), Kate Hill (Year 2), Katherina Jacoby (Art), Masaki Tanis (Language Assistant), Tammy Treloar (Instrumental Music), Adam Reidy (Japanese)
Stephen Brewster (Language Assistant), Amos Freeman (Science), Natalie Knite (Media), Jason O’Loughlin (Mathematics), Labrini Soldatos (Library), Brian Thomas (Systems Tech), Jason Yearwood (Accounting), Sean Rankin (Instrumental Music Brass)
I take this opportunity to welcome the new colleagues that are joining us and pray that they each find our community to be a blessing to them as I feel sure they too will be a wonderful blessing to us.
Throughout 2013 our College will make our collaborative efforts together a focus. The shared contributions that our students, teaching staff, families and the wider community makes to our educational programs will each be explored to maintain and improve the sense of shared responsibility and involvement in the learning journey for our students.
Prior to the students commencing classes, our teaching staff has spent 3 days together collaborating focussing upon important professional development sessions concerning the implementation of our program with students.
Matthew 18: 19 – 20
“Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”
It is my prayer that each of the many areas of our College community, our Board, the CEO and members of the College Executive, Heads and Deputy Heads of Campus, Chaplains, Directors of Teaching and Learning, Teaching and Non-Teaching Staff, students and families all collaboratively uphold each other, pray for our students and seek God’s purpose in our lives throughout 2013.I look forward to what God has planned for 2013 with excitement and anticipation to see what blessings our collaborative efforts serving this community together will bring.