Our World Vietnam 2017
Towards the end of Term 1, the 'Our World Vietnam' class travelled to Vietnam for 14 days.
Our study of Global Politics, especially globalisation, international co-operation, international conflict, and colonialism has been powerfully enhanced by our experiences during the trip.
- Staying with families in home stays and gaining an insight into real life for Vietnamese people in rural areas.
- Trekking through the mountains and remote ethnic minority communities in the northern highlands near Sapa.
- Visiting schools, enjoying conversation in English and socialising with Vietnamese teenagers.
- Gaining a deeper understanding of all sides of the conflict in the Vietnam War.
- Visiting a World Vision Area Development Project to see the long-term achievements and change that can be made to a community in need.
I’d like to extend my gratitude to all the wonderful Vietnamese friends of Christian College, who make this trip possible including our guide, Vinh, our translators, Phuong, Giang and Duc and the Le family. Also to Lynette and her team at Ocean Grove Travel, who helped the trip to run smoothly.
A special thank you to Ms. Jemma Burr and Mr. John Tatnell, who accompanied us on the trip and enriched the experience with their knowledge of Vietnamese culture, global politics and general travel ‘savvy’. And most importantly, thank you to the 17 students – your interest, engagement, enthusiasm and curiosity helped you get the most out of the trip and you were very fine ambassadors for Christian College.
Mr. David Evans
Our World Teacher