Year 10 Lecture - Real Time Talk
Year 10 Real Talk Presentation – Getting Real in the Digital World
'Real Talk Australia' presented to the Year 10 students exploring the many aspects of ones relationship with the digital world. Covering issues such as online safety, harassment and cyberbullying, 'sexting', 'revenge pornography', digital reputation, the law, and healthy use of technology.
Throughout the presentation was the message that our relationship with others, whether face-to-face or online should always be underpinned by the principles of Love, Respect and Dignity.
Real Talk showed some compelling short clips on these issues and two of the take home messages for students were:
'GET RID' of the bully
G Go and block the person
E Ensure you keep the evidence (beware of any replies that form a part of that evidence)
T Tell someone (a responsible adult is best)
R Report the abuse to the website/host
I Ignore the bullying behavior (don’t respond to it)
D Delete the messages, posts or images (after you make a copy for evidence)
Top Tips for Social Media and Online Conduct:
- Act like you would in real life.
- Treat others as you would like to be treated (Luke 6:31).
- Think before you post – once it is out there you can’t get it back.
- Only interact with people you know and trust (not everyone is who they say they are).
- Never give out personal information.
- Regularly check your settings (upgrades can default back to less secure settings).
- Set some boundaries around how much time you spend online.
- Beware of addiction – regularly have some 'digital free' days.
We would encourage all families to join with us in having regular conversations about online conduct, safety and boundaries. For more support, I recommend that families explore resources available on the esaftey website. This site includes valuable advice and guidance on all matters of digital technology and has specific advice for parents, youth, women and educators: https://esafety.gov.au/
For more information on Real Talk Australia please refer to their website: http://www.realtalkaustralia.com/
Mrs Dianne Martin
Deputy Head of Senior School